Message and Talking PointsMessage:
THANK YOU for co-sponsoring the Disability Integration Act!
1. This bill ensures that Disabled Americans are not denied their civil rights through unwanted institutionalization.
2. There is no opposition to this bill. It is supported by the entire Disability Community including Paralyzed Veterans of America, the Bazelon Center, the Consortium of Citizens with Disabilities (CCD) and the National Disability Rights Network as well as progressive organizations like MoveOn.org, SEIU, and the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights.
3. Community based services are more cost effective and shifting from institutional to community based services is shown to contain costs.
4. Community based services keep families together.
5. This bill does not interfere with funding for institutional providers but still ensures that Disabled Americans are not denied their inalienable rights.
6. This bill ensures choice but doesn't force closure of facilities or restrict the opportunity to choose an institutional placement.
Medicaid Community-Based Attendant Services and Supports Act of 2002
Medicaid Community-Based Attendant Services and Supports Act of 2003
Medicaid Community-Based Attendant Services and Supports Act of 2005
Community Choice Act of 2007
Community Choice Act of 2009