Message and Talking PointsMessage:
We are asking the Senator to cosponsor the Disability Integration Act (S.117). As someone who has introduced other legislation on this issue, I'm sure the Senator would want to cosponsor this legislation. To do so, contact Matt Fuentes in Senator Schumer's office.
1. This bill ensures that Disabled Americans are not denied their civil rights through unwanted institutionalization.
2. There is no opposition to this bill. It is supported by the entire Disability Community, including Paralyzed Veterans of America, the Bazelon Center, the Consortium of Citizens with Disabilities (CCD) and the National Disability Rights Network as well as progressive organizations like MoveOn.org, SEIU, and the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights.
3. Community based services are more cost effective and shifting from institutional to community based services is shown to contain costs.
4. Community based services keep families together.
5. This bill does not interfere with funding for institutional providers but still ensures that Disabled Americans are not denied their inalienable rights.
6. This bill ensures choice but doesn't force closure of facilities or restrict the opportunity to choose an institutional placement.